CORFU

Poseidon and Korkyra. Nausicaa and Ulysses. You and Corfu.
This corner of the Ionian sea is destined to host all sorts of passionate encounters.
Located in the eastern part of the island, just a 25′ drive from the city of Corfu, is Moraitika.
A 600-meter beach with clear waters, which dazzled Gerasimos Patronikolas -husband of Callirrhoe Onassis- back in the early 60s. Gerasimos was a bon viveur and a visionary, and he saw in Moraitika the ideal spot for Miramare, his dream resort. In almost no time, Miramare started to attract royalty, music legends, jet setters, politicians, and billionaires. Aristotle Onassis enjoyed fishing on its private beach, Jackie Onassis was sunbathing under the Corfiot sun, Andreas Papandreou and Francois Mitterand considered it an oasis of serenity.
Today, Charalambos Sfaellos’ iconic building, with an updated interior designed by Kristina Zanic, offers a sense of privacy and exclusivity to its guest, along with a unique set of treasured memories. So… are you ready to become part of its history?

ACHILLEION

PALACE

ACHILLEION PALACE

It was the early 1860s when Elisabeth of Bavaria, Empress of Austria and Queen of Hungary, visited for the first time the island of Corfu. In a life full of turmoil and trouble, this green and serene Ionian corner was the ideal haven for the Princess Sisi -also known as the Lonely Empress. After the tragic loss of her only son in 1899, she built Achilleion Palace, designed by Italian architect Raffaele Caritto with Achilles as its central theme -paintings and statues of the Greek hero are abundant, both in the main hall and in the Imperial gardens, which provide a scenic view of the surrounding green hills and valleys, with the Ionian sea in the background.
Sisi’s love for the island, its people, and Greece in general, was undoubtedly great -she even learned the language to communicate with the locals. After her death, Kaiser Wilhelm II purchased it in 1907, in order to use it as his summer residence. During WW I, it was used as a military hospital by Serbian and French troops, and after the war’s ending, it was given to the Greek state thanks to the treaty of Versailles. From 1962 to 1983 it was converted to a casino-museum, and from 1984 onward it is exclusively a museum.

CORFU

CITY

CORFU CITY

An island with such a natural beauty and potential deserves nothing less for a capital than Corfu City. Known as Korkyra during ancient times, it was -according to Thucydides- one of the three great naval powers of the 5th century BC Greece, along with Athens and Corinth. The Middle Ages was a period of conflict and struggle, as the locals had to face numerous invasions, from pirates to Ottomans. Some of succeeded and occupied it, such as the Venetians, the French and the British.

In 2007, the old town of the city was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List. It is an amazing living example of Venetian architecture, and its gobble stone alleys create a maze waiting to be explored. Part of the local heritage though is also fine arts -especially music, which is a major aspect of the Corfiot life. From the locals’ talking tone to the city’s Philarmonic Society -founded in 1840, with Nikolaos Mantzaros as its first Artistic Director- music is present in many different ways

MON

REPOS

MON REPOS

South of Corfu City, in the forest of Palaipolis, lies Mon Repos villa. Built in the late 1820s as a summer residence for the British Lord High Commissioner of the United States of the Ionian Islands, yet it was rarely used as such. It was Empress Elisabeth’s residence during her first visit here in 1863, the Greek royal family’s summer residence after the island’s union with Greece in 1864, and the birthplace of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (husband of Queen Elizabeth II). The villa subsequently became derelict but was restored in the 1990s, while both the premises and the surrounding gardens are now being used as a museum.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
newsletter_image